Sunday, June 30, 2013

Gift - Storage Box

We have a new baby coming to the family this September and a baby shower July 14th.  Time really slips away when you are working on several projects at once, which I always say I am not going to do, but totally do anyway.

I made a quilt for the new addition, and some burp rags.  I had been wanting to make a gift / storage box to put everything in as well.  Something that I thought would look good with diapers or other baby supplies in.  I finally got around to it today.

This came together more quickly and more easily than I anticipated (I love it when that happens).

Anyone who knows me or reads my blog knows that I am not a fan of "baby" stuff.  This box was no exception.  I chose colors that I thought would work for a boy but no baby patterns.

For this project you will need:

1) Cardboard box
2) Sharpie
3) Spray Adhesive
4) Scissors
5) Canvas fabric in two patterns (I used a solid and a print)



First, I measured my box.  My sides were about 9" tall, so I called it 10" so I would have a little more than I needed.

Draw a line the length of the height you want (mine was 10") from each corner of your box.  Next, draw a line 1" to the outside of your first line.  




So, you have essentially drawn a square at each corner.  Now, you want to cut those squares off each corner like so:



Where your two lines intersected at each corner, but a slit into it from corner to corner like so:



At this point, I sprayed the bottom of my box and put it on my fabric.  I would caution you that with the adhesive I used, you want to set the box exactly where you want it because it didn't want to come loose when I sat it down!

I started with my narrow sides.  I sprayed the side of the box and just around the corner so I could wrap the fabric around like so:



After I had my narrow sides finished, I trimmed the extra on the top a bit and moved to the wider sides.

The extra width on each side of fabric that I glued around the sides on the narrow ends will be folded over on these ends before they are glued to the box.  I folded the flap in and finger pressed it, then opened it, sprayed the area and folded it back over like this:



Next I sprayed the side and pulled my fabric up like I did with the narrow sides.  The finished box looks like this:



Next, I made my inside cover that also overhung on each side.  I did not actually take photos of this process, but it is pretty simple.

I measured the dimensions of the bottom of my box and added 1/2 inch to each side for seam allowance then cut one. I measured each narrow side plus the number of inches I wanted my fabric to overhang (about 3 inches for me) and cut two.  Then measured each wide side plus the number of inches for overhang and cut two.

I sewed the narrow sides to the bottom, then the wide sides then joined them into a box shape.

Insert the liner with the right side facing you and then fold over your overhang.

These photos were taken before the overhang edges were finished.  I was trying it on to see that it fit correctly.




This is a lot easier than it looks to do and I think it makes a great storage box or even just a gift box!

No comments:

Post a Comment