Thursday, September 13, 2012

Vintage Sheet Project

I am always trying to expand my horizons with quilt making.  I have made quite a few quilts but I still consider myself quite the beginner.  I have recently started getting into vintage sheets.  I have found some at yard sales and, recently, a good friend of mine gave me some that were her late mother's.  They were beautiful and the thought of making something out of sheets that were so old really appealed to me.  The idea of making something that someone was about to turn into trash into something that could be treasured just tickles me.

I don't normally go for the flowery, girly patterns....particularly roses.  But, when I saw these sheets, they really spoke to me.  I think it must be the squiggly blue in them that called to me.  It toned down the flower pattern enough for my pallet and it also reminded me of stipple quilting which I think makes a quilt look just yummy and scrunchy.  Now, these came from a yard sale so I can't be sure how old these are or how "vintage" these are.  The blue and pink sheets are definitely old enough to be called vintage, though.

These are not all the fabrics that will be in the quilt, but these are the dominant ones.


And, here is a sneak peek of one row.  It is hardly a reflection of the finished project, but I do like the feel of it so far!  I have dubbed this quilt "Tea Cup Rose Garden".  It will be a beautiful addition to my bedroom when it is finished.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment